• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights do I have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kscountry

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KANSAS

I was adopted by my maternal grandparents at some point between birth and age 3. At one point I know I was included in their will as a child, not a grandchild, but I don't know if it was changed after the power of attorney took over. The 3 biological children refuse to provide a copy of the will and state that I am in it as a grandchild. I have contacted the court to get a copy of my grandmother's will, but my grandfather's is not on file. My grandfather passed in 1996 and my grandmother passed in 2006. Nothing was sold etc until last year. Last year the 3 bio children sold 320 acres of land and split the money. This was land I grew up on and I had promised my grandfather I would never let go of. I would like to know what options I have to pursue this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KANSAS

I was adopted by my maternal grandparents at some point between birth and age 3. At one point I know I was included in their will as a child, not a grandchild, but I don't know if it was changed after the power of attorney took over. The 3 biological children refuse to provide a copy of the will and state that I am in it as a grandchild. I have contacted the court to get a copy of my grandmother's will, but my grandfather's is not on file. My grandfather passed in 1996 and my grandmother passed in 2006. Nothing was sold etc until last year. Last year the 3 bio children sold 320 acres of land and split the money. This was land I grew up on and I had promised my grandfather I would never let go of. I would like to know what options I have to pursue this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
**A: consult with an estate attorney. You should have done this earlier so that your rights as a beneficiary would have been asserted in probate court.

kscountry

**A: consult with an estate attorney. You should have done this earlier so that your rights as a beneficiary would have been asserted in probate court.
Thank you for the reply. I did consult an attorney and he is figuring out where to go from here. We are waiting to get the will from the court.

I was a minor at the time of the deaths, and my mother (biological mother, one of the 3 biological children) was "supposedly" my representative and making sure everything was in order. It has only come to my attention in the past month that many of the things told to me by my mother & her siblings were not the truth and that they may have hidden things from me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">