• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What sort of documentation should be provided to trustee's when settling a trust?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ect2Wct

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My father and step mother both passed away and our estate (5 siblings) has been tied up waiting for the home they owned to be paid off by the new buyers prior to settling the estate.

Just found out the new owners paid it off over a year ago and the executor just cut personal checks for each of us(in Dec for $8,000each) not checks from the estate account-weird. All of us have asked for some sort of report or documentation as to the estate monies, interest, his expenses, etc so we know he's being honest and that we are all being given or fair share. We haven't gotten anything in any form of writing since the will was read.

The home sold for about $116,00. There were also so unmatured cd's, some credit card debt.

What sort of communication should normally transpire and what should I be asking for?

Please and thank you so much for your time!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My father and step mother both passed away and our estate (5 siblings) has been tied up waiting for the home they owned to be paid off by the new buyers prior to settling the estate.

Just found out the new owners paid it off over a year ago and the executor just cut personal checks for each of us(in Dec for $8,000each) not checks from the estate account-weird. All of us have asked for some sort of report or documentation as to the estate monies, interest, his expenses, etc so we know he's being honest and that we are all being given or fair share. We haven't gotten anything in any form of writing since the will was read.

The home sold for about $116,00. There were also so unmatured cd's, some credit card debt.

What sort of communication should normally transpire and what should I be asking for?

Please and thank you so much for your time!
You should be asking for an accounting of the estate.

Ect2Wct

Payout

Should we be concerned that we were paid by a personal check a check issued from the estate account?

Ect2Wct

Correction: payout

Should we be concerned that we were paid by a personal check, not a check issued from the estate account?
Should we be concerned that we were paid by a personal check, not a check issued from the estate account?

Ect2Wct

Correction: payout

Should we be concerned that the funds aren't coming out of the trust fund, but out of the executors personal bank account.How do we know if he's acting in a legal manner?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Should we be concerned that the funds aren't coming out of the trust fund, but out of the executors personal bank account.How do we know if he's acting in a legal manner?
I still don't know what you'd be concerned about. If your supposed to get $x and you get $x, then what does it matter which account it comes from? Of course, your real problem is that you don't know if you're supposed to get $x, $y, or $z.

LdiJ

I still don't know what you'd be concerned about. If your supposed to get $x and you get $x, then what does it matter which account it comes from? Of course, your real problem is that you don't know if you're supposed to get $x, $y, or $z.
Considering that there was a house worth 113k and some CDs, and they only got 8k each, I am guessing that the checks coming from his personal account make the siblings wonder what the money was doing in his personal account in the first place. It certainly makes ME wonder.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Considering that there was a house worth 113k and some CDs, and they only got 8k each, I am guessing that the checks coming from his personal account make the siblings wonder what the money was doing in his personal account in the first place. It certainly makes ME wonder.
The OP doesn't care what account the money comes from so long as he gets what he's due. The OP needs the accounting.

Ect2Wct

Trust matured a year ago, may of 2015

How long after a trust is matured/finished should payment be made to all trustees?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">