• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when there is no will is there A way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marinda7

What is the name of your state?New York - My mother passed away 2 weeks ago. She was in a 17 year relationship with a man who was mentally and physically abusive. He never worked and never contributed to the family. they did have a daughter together but they were never married. She was scared to leave him. I remember my mother telling me years ago that she and her "companion" had drawn up a will. I called her lawyer today and she told me there was never a will drawn up. They had a house together that was bought with my deceased father's inheritance in which both of their name's were on the deed. Now that my mother has passed what rights do I have? Am my sisters and I entitled to half the value of the house(because the house was sold). And what about her personal belongings? I just want to add that there is no record of a will with the probate court.

BelizeBreeze

Marinda7 said:
What is the name of your state?New York - My mother passed away 2 weeks ago. She was in a 17 year relationship with a man who was mentally and physically abusive. He never worked and never contributed to the family. they did have a daughter together but they were never married. She was scared to leave him. I remember my mother telling me years ago that she and her "companion" had drawn up a will. I called her lawyer today and she told me there was never a will drawn up. They had a house together that was bought with my deceased father's inheritance in which both of their name's were on the deed. Now that my mother has passed what rights do I have? Am my sisters and I entitled to half the value of the house(because the house was sold). And what about her personal belongings? I just want to add that there is no record of a will with the probate court.
The only way we can answer you is to know HOW exactly the names appear on the deed.

As to the personal belongings, the CHILD is entitled to all of her personal things as well as all other children. The 'companion', unless there IS a will, takes nothing from personal belongings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">