• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is a Trust legally dissolved?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TimKerrigan

What is the name of your state?[FONT=Arial Black[/FONT]CAlifornia My grandfather left a piece of property -1/2 in the Earle Trust to my mother and my aunt and 1/2 to my grandmother (the Gladys Trust) in the 1980,s. Eight years later my grandmother died and left her 1/2 of the land to my mother and aunt. Before they died my mother and my aunt dispersed the Glayds trust (in a Quick Claim deed I found attached to the deed of the property) to themselves. However my mother and my aunt died without ever dissolving the Earle trust (1/2 of the property). The property deed still shows my mother and aunt as the owner. In reality the property is controlled by my father and uncle, both of whom are critically ill. I want to get the title to the land correct before they die. My lawyer says I must petition the Court to set a new Trustee (myself) and then dissolve the trust. My aunt's side of the family claims this is not necessary and that since the trust has no property, it is automatically dissolved. When is a trust dissolved? Does it have to be done formally? Thanks for your advice and help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">