• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

where do i start

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DHobbsGM

I am overwhelmed!!! My father just passed away. He is survived by my mother. They do have a will. What do i have to do now?? Or, since my mother survives him, do i need to do anything at all?? We are in Arizona.

ALawyer

My condolences.

After the funeral check how title to the property was held. Was it all joint tenancy? If so there probably is nothing to do except to make sure your mother has a new Will prepared immediately! And collect the life insurance proceeds, if any.

If some things were in his name, then get the Will admitted to probate, and if there was no Will, get your mother appointed as Administrator of his estate -- a lawyer would be very helpful in this case. The state of Arizona has laws aSS TO HOW PROPERTY IS DISTRIBUTED IN THE ABSENCE OF A WILL, and everything does not necessarily pass to mother unless the kids waive rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">