• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to file to becom my father's "personal representative"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

geode57

My father died recently. He named my elder brother as his "personal representative" in his will. My elder brother died 3 years ago however and my father never named a second. My father's will was drawn up in Maryland, but he lived in a nursing home in the District of Columbia. In which court, MD or DC do I file to become my Dad's personal rep? My other brother is NOT talking to me and I'm afraid he will strip my Dad's insurance money as he did the checking account. Help!

ALawyer

He probably was a legal resident of Maryland, but as nearly all lawyers in the Metro DC area get admitted in DC, MD and VA, go to one in MD who is ALSO admitted in DC and have that lawyer handle it where it makes sense to bring the probate.

You may also want to have the lawyer notify the insurance company NOT to pay the policy benefits at this time!

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">