• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is correct on Estate division in OH? Wow, long...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anotherjen

UPDATE: Who is correct on Estate division in OH? Wow, long...

Update:
My brother got some additional details--my grandfather had made up a beneficiary deed for my father for the house to be transferred at death. Our understanding is that since THIS is actually how the deed transferred, it is actually NOT part of the estate, so it is 100% owned by my father (wife is not owner but has some rights). The "intent" was to avoid probate and make it easier for my dad to sell and split proceeds, although I understand that "intent" is not necessarily enforceable.

However, a friend (attorney) of my brother's told him that since my dad communicated as the executor that the house WAS part of the estate and we were all equal shares, that my brother has grounds. He has multiple emails about this and also has an email from stepmom saying they are giving him the house to do with as he wishes. Which never happened and now she won't do.

My brother also feels that all the repairs/improvements he has made qualify for "unjust enrichment".

Thoughts? Also, Dad/wife are in IN, house/brother in OH, I'm in MI if it matters. Does she still need to sign with these circumstances? Should my brother hire an attorney? He will, but we assume it will be at substantial cost so it doesn't make sense if he has no legal grounds.

*****************original post*******************

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

My grandfather passed away in 2010 and had a will (from 1990) stating for his estate to be divided equally between 4 parties--my father, and the three grandchildren. My father, the executor, did not enter the will into probate because he believed it was not necessary due to small estate. Pretty much the only assets were a life insurance policy (that was divided equally) and a small house ~$30k. At the time of my grandfather's death, my father had taken the will and put the house in his name. He assumed he just needed to get it out of my grandfather's name. Nothing was initially done with the house. My brother was living there at the time and after about a year, my dad and his wife suggested that due to excessive needed repairs, poor real estate market, and since everyone else was out of state, everyone should just let my brother keep it outright.

Ok, everything was fine, but then before my brother started to do some of the significant required repairs, he understandably wanted to get the house in his name. For nearly 3 years, my dad had one delay or another, but the majority of the delay appeared to be concerned about tax penalties of the transfer. My dad had a decline in finances himself no longer wanted to straight out gift his portion--which upset my brother. Their relationship deteriorated over this time. They finally came to an agreement this spring.

Now the big drama. My dad's wife REFUSES to sign off on the deed transfer. Her opinion is that the will is now void since it has been more than 5 years and the house is in my dad's name, so now it is 100% owned by my dad (and her). My dad does not agree with her (regardless of the legality) and is trying to get them (his wife and my brother) to compromise but both refuse to budge. We now realize that a lot of the delay in the transfer is due to his wife behind the scene. She is over the top angry/entitled and feels she deserves the house because their finances are no longer to the level she deserves...yes, we had no idea she was like this although we were never close. They lived above their means and did not change when their circumstances did so none of us have any desire to reward their poor decisions and financial planning. They are in no means destitute, but have no desire to change their quality of life...or at least her.

In part because of the market beginning to come back and in large part the updates my brother HAS already done, the house is now worth $53k. My brother has no desire to move and is still the only one in the state. He has paid every penny associated with the house for 7 years. They have paid nothing--however she feels that since he lived there rent free, he OWES them now and should just move out.

Both my dad's wife and my brother claim to have consulted attorneys and have been told they are 100% correct, but I believe in both cases, they are just consulting friends or doing the free consultation. My hands are somewhat tied at this point because I am out of state and really not involved. I am just tired of my family not communicating.

So does she have a legal leg to stand on? Is the will actually void at this point? If at all possible, please include links. She will not take my word.

The three grandchildren and my father all want the agreement my dad and brother made to be honored, but she won't sign the transfer. Is there a way around her? My dad does NOT want to get divorced...but we all want him to now!!!

Thanks! If you made it through my ramblings and very long post!

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
By "all expenses", does this include property taxes? If not, I'd understand stepmom's point about the property not being income producing for her.

And by your timeline... Are you saying that your father assumed title of the house over 2 years before your grandfather's death? If that's the case, then it was not your grandfather's property at time of death; you cannot will something you no longer own.

It also seems, reading between the lines, that at some point your stepmother was added to the title as well. Is that correct?

anteater

At the time of my grandfather's death, my father had taken the will and put the house in his name.
Where did he take the will and what did he do?

Why is father's wife even being asked to sign a deed?

There are states that have a time limit for submitting a will for probate. The will is not actually voided, but it can't be probated. There aren't a whole lot of states with time limits shorter than 5 years. I don't recall Ohio and can't find a time limit with a quick search. I'm doubtful that it has a 5 year time limit.

But that really is irrelevant as to father's wife. She does not stand to inherit, will or no will.

anotherjen

By "all expenses", does this include property taxes? If not, I'd understand stepmom's point about the property not being income producing for her.
And by your timeline... Are you saying that your father assumed title of the house over 2 years before your grandfather's death? If that's the case, then it was not your grandfather's property at time of death; you cannot will something you no longer own.
It also seems, reading between the lines, that at some point your stepmother was added to the title as well. Is that correct?
My brother did pay the property taxes--they still took the deduction. He also paid the insurance, both dwelling and renter's.

I think you mean the 7 years my brother lived there...? My grandfather was in assisted living for the first 2 years he lived there, 5 years after his passing. Gpa wanted to move back in at some point, however he was 98 and that sadly was not realistic.

My stepmother is NOT on the deed, but our understanding is that since she is married to my father, she also has to sign any transfer of property...is that not the case?!?! She references dowager rights?

Where did he take the will and what did he do?

Why is father's wife even being asked to sign a deed?

There are states that have a time limit for submitting a will for probate. The will is not actually voided, but it can't be probated. There aren't a whole lot of states with time limits shorter than 5 years. I don't recall Ohio and can't find a time limit with a quick search. I'm doubtful that it has a 5 year time limit.

But that really is irrelevant as to father's wife. She does not stand to inherit, will or no will.
I'm a bit fuzzy on what was done, but to get the title/deed in his name he took the will to a title company I believe and the deed was transferred to him.

My stepmother is NOT on the deed, but our understanding is that since she is married to my father, she also has to sign any transfer of property...is that not the case?!?! That would be GREAT news!!!! My dad/wife are in IN.

I cannot find it either, but also good news.

Last edited:

Silverplum

It's "dower," not "dowager," but she is correct and does have to sign: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/Transferring-Real-Estate-in-a-Nut-Shell.aspx

Silverplum

Now I see you've edited your last post to add that your father lives in Indiana. (*disgruntled*)

I believe OH's laws apply to OH deeds. So it doesn't matter that IN doesn't have dower laws: https://www.deeds.com/information/understanding-dower-rights-1439417366.html

anteater

It's "dower," not "dowager," but she is correct and does have to sign: https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/Transferring-Real-Estate-in-a-Nut-Shell.aspx
Good find, Silverplum.

So many states have done away with dower...

anotherjen

Bump for update

Update:
My brother got some additional details--my grandfather had made up a beneficiary deed for my father for the house to be transferred at death. Our understanding is that since THIS is actually how the deed transferred, it is actually NOT part of the estate, so it is 100% owned by my father (wife is not owner but has some rights). The "intent" was to avoid probate and make it easier for my dad to sell and split proceeds, although I understand that "intent" is not necessarily enforceable.

However, a friend (attorney) of my brother's told him that since my dad communicated as the executor that the house WAS part of the estate and we were all equal shares, that my brother has grounds. He has multiple emails about this and also has an email from stepmom saying they are giving him the house to do with as he wishes. Which never happened and now she won't do.

My brother also feels that all the repairs/improvements he has made qualify for "unjust enrichment".

Thoughts? Also, Dad/wife are in IN, house/brother in OH, I'm in MI if it matters. Does she still need to sign with these circumstances? Should my brother hire an attorney? He will, but we assume it will be at substantial cost so it doesn't make sense if he has no legal grounds.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've said twice that the brother "has grounds". Grounds for what? If the house isn't part of the estate and the executor said it was, that's called a mistake. The house doesn't magically become part of the estate just because the executor misspoke.

Silverplum

Update:

I don't feel my contribution to this thread was read or, if it was, it was not understood. I also have no idea how we are to deal with the continuously changing details.

I say, hire an estate attorney in the correct state.

anotherjen

You've said twice that the brother "has grounds". Grounds for what? If the house isn't part of the estate and the executor said it was, that's called a mistake. The house doesn't magically become part of the estate just because the executor misspoke.
Grounds for ownership I guess. FWIW, I agree with you. Yes, I questioned that repeatedly, but my brother considers himself already informed and trusts his friends and I am just an engineer...lol. I just want this to end. My brother keeps talking to "people" who are telling him that since he has statements in writing, they somehow represent how the estate should have been handled, as well as the fact that he made these improvements--the unjust enrichment thing.

So, pretty much, since it was transferred to my dad with a beneficiary deed, it is solely his and the will (to divide equally) does not apply correct? Does the intent of my gpa matter? If my dad wants to go ahead and honor the agreement he and my brother worked out, does she still need to sign even though dad was the only beneficiary?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Grounds for ownership I guess. FWIW, I agree with you. Yes, I questioned that repeatedly, but my brother considers himself already informed and trusts his friends and I am just an engineer...lol. I just want this to end. My brother keeps talking to "people" who are telling him that since he has statements in writing, they somehow represent how the estate should have been handled, as well as the fact that he made these improvements--the unjust enrichment thing.

So, pretty much, since it was transferred to my dad with a beneficiary deed, it is solely his and the will (to divide equally) does not apply correct? Does the intent of my gpa matter? If my dad wants to go ahead and honor the agreement he and my brother worked out, does she still need to sign even though dad was the only beneficiary?
Your brother is an idiot. The intent matters not when your dad received the house by way of a transfer on death deed. The house belongs to your father. NO ONE ELSE has a claim to it. The wife would need to sign off on the deed should the deed be changed. THIS IS NOT A DO IT YOURSELF PROJECT. The deed would need written by an attorney in order to be 100% correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">