• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the Goods?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mary_Flint

What is the name of your state? Illinois

92 year old aunt died Thursday. She was married to my uncle, my dads brother. Since they had no children, my uncle had divided up their estate between my father and my aunt in his will. Strange, yes, but my uncle didnt want a huge majority of HIS families money going to his wifes nieces and nephews. (My uncle was left a huge amount of money by my dads sister and brothers, which he didnt want my aunts nieces and nephews to inherit)

My father died before my uncle did. My uncle didnt get a chance to change his will. So, everything was left to my aunt. Aunt has died, and now all my uncles hard earned money, plus the money that was left to him by my fathers family is going to be distributed to my aunts side of the family. These items are MY families heirlooms. Yes, I am disgruntled. My uncle didnt think. He had my other aunt put their husbands and wives names on her will. For some strange reason my uncle didnt do the same with my father, thinking that dad would outlive him. Well, it didnt happen.

It's great to have such family. I am really saddened by the fact that all MY family heirlooms will go to people who dont even care about them. People need to update their wills and THINK ahead of time.

Hope some will learn from this truly sad story.

I really dont think there is a thing that I can do about this. Since my father was to inherit half the estate and he died before my uncle, all is lost. Hope I havent confused everyone so far.

BelizeBreeze

you need a probate attorney to sift through this mess because a thorough review of all probate records will have to be undertaken.

Mary_Flint

thank you

I appreciate the time you have given to respond to my post. I am truly upset over the fact that I believe all my families heirlooms will be lost to my aunts family. I wouldnt be surprised if my aunts nephew, who was POA, more than likely had my aunt change her will when her husband died.

Again I thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">