• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkilt28

What is the name of your state?Missouri

My dad and his girlfriend are both on the title of their mobile home and property. His girlfriend passed away this weekend. Does the property automatically go to my father, or can her children take half the property? They were never married.

Additionally, the girlfriend hasn't lived in the home for 3 years, but had avoided removing her name from the title.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nikkilt28 said:
What is the name of your state?Missouri

My dad and his girlfriend are both on the title of their mobile home and property. His girlfriend passed away this weekend. Does the property automatically go to my father, or can her children take half the property? They were never married.

Additionally, the girlfriend hasn't lived in the home for 3 years, but had avoided removing her name from the title.

My response:

I love a good trailer story coming out of Missouri - - especially where the trailer is located down by the river.

Anyway, how is the Deed titled? Does it include "with right of survivorship"?

IAAL

nikkilt28

unsure

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

I love a good trailer story coming out of Missouri - - especially where the trailer is located down by the river.

Anyway, how is the Deed titled? Does it include "with right of survivorship"?

IAAL

lol. can't help the fact my dad and his girlfriend are hoosiers. the property was purchased outright 7 years ago with my dad's inheritance, not financed. I believe he purchased it from his current neighbor. We just found out the about the girlfriend this morning, and my brother was worried that her family would be able to force my dad to sell the property or buy out her half, so we haven't even had a chance to view the paperwork.

No, the trailer is not by the river!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nikkilt28 said:
lol. can't help the fact my dad and his girlfriend are hoosiers. the property was purchased outright 7 years ago with my dad's inheritance, not financed.

MY RESPONSE: Your Dad receives an inheritance, and what does he do? He buys a trailer! You're right - - Dad is a Hoosier!

I believe he purchased it from his current neighbor.

MY RESPONSE: Irrelevant. Colorful, but irrelevant.

We just found out the about the girlfriend this morning, and my brother was worried that her family would be able to force my dad to sell the property or buy out her half, so we haven't even had a chance to view the paperwork.

MY RESPONSE: Did Dad tell you her name was on title? You see, that would have been relevant information to know - - not the fact that "he purchased it from his current neighbor." Who cares about that? So, when you see the paperwork, come on back to let me know the answers to all of these questions.

No, the trailer is not by the river!

MY RESPONSE: Damn! It would have made for a more interesting story if it was!

IAAL

nikkilt28

name on title

Well, in my very FIRST post, I stated that her name is on the title. So yes, her name is on the title. It's been an ongoing battle for the last two years to get her name off the title since she moved out of the house.

I realize without exact information, I can't get an exact answer, but I was hoping for at least a best/worst case scenario.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nikkilt28 said:
Well, in my very FIRST post, I stated that her name is on the title. So yes, her name is on the title. It's been an ongoing battle for the last two years to get her name off the title since she moved out of the house.

I realize without exact information, I can't get an exact answer, but I was hoping for at least a best/worst case scenario.

My response:

This is why I asked you if the title had "with right of survivorship" on it. If it does, then the ownership reverts soley to your father. If it doesn't, then her half goes to her Estate and, in that instance, then yes, the heirs can force a sale, or cause Dad to refinance the trailer, to obtain her market share of the value.

IAAL

nikkilt28

thanks

thank you for your answer, we will review the title and hope for the best.

Not that any of us want a run down trailer, but her kids have milked my dad for enough money, he at least deserves his house to live in.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nikkilt28 said:
thank you for your answer, we will review the title and hope for the best.

Not that any of us want a run down trailer, but her kids have milked my dad for enough money, he at least deserves his house to live in.

My response:

One good thing about trailers - - they're mobile!

So, all Dad needs to do is hitch up the ol' pick-up truck to the single-wide, and make a run for the border!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">