• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meg

My sister died 9 mos. ago leaving behind a husband of 10 mos. and a 4 y/o daughter. Her husband is not her daughter's father. Her husband packed up most of my neice's things and gave them to my parent's who has custody of her right now. My sister's husband has not let any of her family members in the house and he wouldn't allow anyone to have anything of hers except for some of her clothes. Is this legal or do family members have a right to have something, especially the daughter? My sister had lots of guns and other things of great value, is her daughter entitled to any of this? What about items that were given to my sister as gifts from family members? You know, I'd just like to have some things that were hers personaly like her hairbrush, her pillow, some pictures or something. just to let you know what kind of a man she was married to, he was trying to get his old girlfriend to go back with him less than a month after the funeral, and he succeeded. This is in Pennsylvania

ALawyer

Don't draw conclusions solely because he got back with his old girl friend. People grieve at different times, and handle it differently.

BUT her estate does NOT all go to him but instead is to be divided between him and the daughter according to Pennsylvania law, unless she had a valid Will. I do not know the split PA law provides, but most states give the surviving spouse the first $X of value and then split things 50-50 if there is 1 child. You can see what she gets under the State Resources tab at
https://law.freeadvice.com/resources/statelaws.htm
and looking up PA laws of intestate succession on FreeAdvice.com.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">