• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who has priority?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dahlilama

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

This senario just happened to a friend of mine 'Susan':

Susan was married to 'Bill'. Bill passed away a couple of years ago. Bill's mom just passed away this month. Bill has a sister and a daughter from a previous marriage. Bill's sister came up to Susan after the funeral and asked for Bill's daughter's banking info because the mother left money to Bill, and the sister wanted to make sure that his daughter got the money. Now, besides being unbelievably tacky and rude...where does my friend fit into the will...or does she?

Assuming that Bill's mother never changed her will once Bill died. If his name is still in the will, would/should that default to Susan, his wife - or to his daughter? Or since he's dead, is his share no longer valid?

nextwife

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

This senario just happened to a friend of mine 'Susan':

Susan was married to 'Bill'. Bill passed away a couple of years ago. Bill's mom just passed away this month. Bill has a sister and a daughter from a previous marriage. Bill's sister came up to Susan after the funeral and asked for Bill's daughter's banking info because the mother left money to Bill, and the sister wanted to make sure that his daughter got the money. Now, besides being unbelievably tacky and rude...where does my friend fit into the will...or does she?

Assuming that Bill's mother never changed her will once Bill died. If his name is still in the will, would/should that default to Susan, his wife - or to his daughter? Or since he's dead, is his share no longer valid?
Who inherits depends upon the will language. Your friend can obtain a copy of the will, once filed, from the applicable county courthouse probate office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">