• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for credit card debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abear123

My boyfriend is in a bit of a situation. He lives with his parents in which the house they live in is half in his name and also his mothers. His parents have a lot of credit card debt. Say his mother dies, who is responsible for her credit card debt? Will he have to pay them since the house will go to him and basically thats all the assets his mother has? Will it be her husband, his father? Or will no one be responsible? I keep telling him he will be since her half of the house will go to him, that the credit cards will go after that half for assets. Am I correct?

ALawyer

A lot depends on how the property is titled.

The primary danger is not at death, but before death. If she owes the money they will eventually want it and sue her and get a judgment against her which they will perfect with a lien on her interest in the property.

If she could get credit card life insurance -- usually an expensive rip-off -- and she died, the balance would be paid off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">