• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Widdowers Pension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gerhard Reissig

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Question: Can a foreign government, in this case the Federal Republic of Germany, use US earned income in computing a widdowers pension.

Background: I am a US citizen currently living in Germany and working for the US Government under the Global War On Terrorism (GWOT) program. My wife, also a US citizen (naturalized in 1986), passed away last year, but had received a pension from the germans. I was notified that I was not eligible to receive the widdowers pension because "I earn too much". I am retired military, and work for the US Postal System, both sources of income are paid by the US Department of Defense.

Thanks for your help.

Gerhard ReissigWhat is the name of your state?

ceara19

What is the name of your state? Colorado

Question: Can a foreign government, in this case the Federal Republic of Germany, use US earned income in computing a widdowers pension.

Background: I am a US citizen currently living in Germany and working for the US Government under the Global War On Terrorism (GWOT) program. My wife, also a US citizen (naturalized in 1986), passed away last year, but had received a pension from the germans. I was notified that I was not eligible to receive the widdowers pension because "I earn too much". I am retired military, and work for the US Postal System, both sources of income are paid by the US Department of Defense.

Thanks for your help.

Gerhard ReissigWhat is the name of your state?
I don't know if anyone here will be able to answer your question. Your issue falls under GERMAN law, not US law. However, if the situation were reversed and you wanted to know if the US could count your foreign income against you, the answer would be yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">