• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Widow responsible for Spouse medical bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badclient

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My friend's husband was in the hospital for about 8 weeks, he came home for a couple of days and passed away.

He was about 4 weeks in a hospital in New York, and about 4 weeks in a hospital in Maryland. They live in Virginia.

I realize the hospitals will present whatever bills they have to the estate for payment, but is she responsible for them over and above the value of the estate? She is a stay at home mom.

curb1

How old was "my friend's husband"? He most likely had Medicare coverage if older than age 65. Did he have other insurance? There might be very little that "friend" is responsible.

badclient

He was about 45. He had health insurance, though not all was covered (they are denying some things and other fall under the insurance pays 90% you pay 10% type of thing)

I know the insurance company had already sent some denials, which can be appealed of course.

She has contacted an Attny, he is supposed to get back to her today or tomorrow to help her begin to sort stuff out (he had no will).

I hope she isn't going to have to pay for any outstanding bills herself if the estate is insufficient...

curb1

You said, "I hope she isn't going to have to pay for any outstanding bills herself if the estate is insufficient.."

Who would you expect to pay the bills?

LdiJ

You said, "I hope she isn't going to have to pay for any outstanding bills herself if the estate is insufficient.."

Who would you expect to pay the bills?
Who would pay the bills if he wasn't married and the estate is insufficient? It may be that in VA she is responsible for the bills, however in many states she would not be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">