• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Widow's responsibility for husbands debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ljm5656

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me, help my mom. My stepdad just passed away from a recurring cancer and my 70 yr old mom can't afford the Trailer home they were buying and will have to move.
Also my stepdad took care of all the bills and had signed a loan with a bank for a monthly payment, nothing on the loan, no collateral, shes not going to be able to afford either, and didn't sign with him or it anyway, wasn't aware of it till he passed away.
We live in GA and she will be getting Social Security and Military survivors benefit. He was retired Army. Does anyone know or can someone direct us to the finding the info, if the bank or mortgage company can take her benefits or hold her accountable?
He didn't have a will of any kind.
Thank you for your help. LJM What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

curb1

She is still responsible for the obligation on his debts especially since they were incurred while they were married. Her choice will be to continue making payments to live in the home, or move out. She is accountable. She needs to start by calling the lending agency now,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">