• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is wife entitled to my fathers estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

koops100

My wifes father passed away 1 1/2 years ago. she took the money and did with it what she wanted and didn't share the wealth with her husband stating that she was entitled to all the assets and her husband wasn't because he wasn't named in the will. Now my father is getting up in years and has a large estate and I'm the only family member he has and he has stated I will recieve everything. I worry my wife is planning to leave me when he passes and will expect to recieve half of the estate. How can I protect myself from loosing a large half of the estate?

ShyCat

Do not commingle inherited assets with joint, marital assets. Until then, inheritances are the sole property of the heir, same as with any gift to an individual. If you put inherited money into a joint checking account, for example, it is converted to a marital asset subject to a divorce property settlement.

ALawyer

ShyCat is right as far as it goes -- BUT if you inherit substantial funds -- even if you keep them separate (and be real careful about doing so) -- in the event of a split your ex is likely to demand more and a judge is likely to award more -- in terms of alimony or maintenance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">