• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ferghana

What is the name of your state? new jersey

my grandfather died last december and both my brother and I received an inheritance. the executrix handed us a check and said that is the amount that was on the will but never showed us the will. is this an appropriate way of handling the distribution of his assets? also, shouldn't we be present in probate court?

BelizeBreeze

Ferghana said:
What is the name of your state? new jersey

my grandfather died last december and both my brother and I received an inheritance. the executrix handed us a check and said that is the amount that was on the will but never showed us the will. is this an appropriate way of handling the distribution of his assets? also, shouldn't we be present in probate court?
Why don't you go to the county recorder's office and get a copy of the will (or the probate court) and THEN decide what, if any, questions/actions to take.

Dandy Don

Prior to receiving the check, did you receive any type of notice in the mail that the will was being probated? You should have been notified by mail when the executrix first submitted the will to the courthouse.

Yes, you need to check at the courthouse to see if the will has even been submitted. She may or may not be telling the truth about what you were eligible to receive. If you don't understand the documentation in the file, get your own probate attorney.

If probate is still going on now and hasn't yet closed, you can attend any of the probate court hearings regarding this estate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">