• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bait

My husband and I have been married for 23 years. We do not have any children together but I have two children from a previous marriage. My husband has no children. We own a business together and our home. We have no will. My husband feels that it is not necessary being everything that we do own is in both our names with right of suviorship. Is this true or what would happen if one of us died or both? We live in the state of Illinois.

A

advisor10

01-16-2001

Don't leave your children's future up to "CHANCE". You really do need a will to INSURE that your wishes about your assets are protected and carried out exactly. Your husband might be partially true about your home and bank accounts if they are in joint tenancy, but it is far too risky to just HOPE that everything will turn out all right without any effort on your part.

Don't automatically that an Illinois attorney will see this message and respond, as that might not happen. You really do need to contact a probate/estate attorney in your local area to have a will drawn up--the fee will probably range anywhere from $200-$500, but it is money well spent if you really care about taking charge of your children's future.
If you happen to belong to one of those PREPAID LEGAL plans, the will might even be done for you at no charge, depending on how that is mentioned in the legal plan rules section.

The very fact that you are concerned if one or both of you died is proof that a written document needs to be established to take care of any situation that might occur in the future, not the very least to be considered also is what will happen to the business.

After your wills have been drawn up and signed, you can have financial peace of mind.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">