• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JennMar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
My parents are looking to get a will set up. They have joint custody (with my sister) of my niece since she was one years old, now she is 12. They prefer that I take care of my niece since my sister lives out of state and has no relationship or contact with her. My niece and I are very close and I have helped my parents take care of her. Can they stipulate in the will that if something should happen to them that I am appointed guardian of my niece?

seniorjudge

Q: Can they stipulate in the will that if something should happen to them that I am appointed guardian of my niece?

A: Human beings cannot be willed in this country.

garrula lingua

They can express their wishes in the will.
Hopefully, the family will honor those wishes, but (like burial instructions) they are not legally binding on anyone.
Mom has the right to reclaim her daughter if she never gave up custody legally & any other party can petition for guardianship.

Silverplum

They can express their wishes in the will.
Hopefully, the family will honor those wishes, but (like burial instructions) they are not legally binding on anyone.
Mom has the right to reclaim her daughter if she never gave up custody legally & any other party can petition for guardianship.
So does DAD. ;)

garrula lingua

From now on, when I hear a gavel banging, this will give new meaning :):):)

I've always equated it with a judicially shouted 'Shut Up' or call for comtempt :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">