• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ntethelelo

By the way I'm sorry to reply this time. My mother nominated my step dad to be the beneficiary of her investment and 2 years before she pass on she made a will stating that her belongings should all be shared by her children

Ntethelelo

By the way I'm sorry to reply this time. My mother nominated my step dad to be the beneficiary of her investment and 2 years before she pass on she made a will stating that her belongings should all be shared by her children

justalayman

A will does not override a beneficiary designation of an asset that is not part of the decedents assets subject to probate.

Ntethelelo

So how would you advice me because the funds have been released to the husband and only now has the trustee taken action

ShyCat

Did you not understand the previous reply? The will does not override the beneficiary designation of the investment account. The investment account went to the person named as the beneficiary (i.e., the husband), as it should. The husband wasn't "nominated" as the beneficiary; he was designated as the beneficiary. Anything in the will regarding the beneficiary-designated investment account is irrelevant. The disposition of the investment account was not controlled by the will.

Ntethelelo

Thats because the insurance company said that we should take this matter to court and which is why I'm asking for advice. My mother wanted to change the beneficiary but her financial adviser is friend with my step dad I assume he delayed the process on purpose

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">