• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelkare

CT. I recently looked at a copy of my grandmother's will, I was told I was excluded from it but this was untrue. My grandmother has two living children, My father & my Aunt. The will states that the estate should be divided equally between them, & in the event of their death the inheritence would go to the their children. My father is in considerable debt due to medical bills (he has been in & out of mental institutions most of his adult life)Due to these debts my aunt had him sign over his half of the estate to her, so the "gov." would not take it. In so doing she has control of my fathers half of the estate which she administers to him as needed. I recently asked my father for some money, talked to my aunt, she said if my father told her to she would write a check to me. He did but she then "changed her mind" and decided I did not "deserve" any of his money. (Ugly divorse between my mother & father when I was 8- I was ignored by his side of the family since.) My question is is this legal? Do I as his only decendent have any way to get his half of the estate? or at the very least have my aunt brought to court? Are there any laws, presedents for this kind of case to which I can refer? Thank you for any help available, Angelkare [email protected]

A

advisor10

2-25-2002

DEAR ANGELKARE:

(1) Is your grandmother deceased?
(2) If so, then what month and year did she die?
(3) Has the will been submitted to probate court?
(4) What is the title of the document where he signed over half of his estate to her? Was this document signed in the presence of witnesses and/or a notary public? Was there a specific dollar amount that he signed over?

(5) Whose idea was it for him to sign over half of the estate?

SINCERELY,

advisor

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">