• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will contestment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

racingnascar

in wisconsin when a person writes a will at home has a lawyer draw it up and then signs all within a week of a near death experience and is an alchoholic that drinks constantly apperars to be sober to lawyer at time of signing. Is this valid reason for trying to contest?

A

advisor10

10-6-2001

DEAR RACING:

No, this is not a valid reason to contest.

How are you related to the decedent?

What is the value of his/her estate?

Were you named as a beneficiary?

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

R

racingnascar

i am the son the only son. the entire estate is around 1 million. I was left pocket change and rest left to his friends

ALawyer

As the only heir at law, I sure would consult a GOOD probate lawyer to see if it can be successfully contested. At $1 million, knocking it out gets you something far more than the pocket change, but depending on how the Will was drawn, if you don't knock it out you may lose that pocket change. The grounds for contesting it are set out on FreeAdvice.com under Wills and Probate.

The fact that someone is an alcoholic does NOT mean that he lacked menatl capacity to prepare a Will, or that he was the subject of undue influence, fraud, duress, etc. BUT in the hands of a good lawyer who can investigate and possibly raise questions, the lucky friend may be willing to settle or risk losing everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">