• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will/Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LivinLife21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? In

Hello,
My dad recently passed away and he lived in Indiana. My mom and him were married when I was younger and he adopted me and my brother when we were babies. They divorced when I was around 6 or 7 and then he got remarried and my mom got re married as well. Me and my father still kept in contact even though we moved out of state, we wrote and talked on the phone and even visited each other. My father has two other sons, which are my step brothers. His wife that he married wanted him to have no contact with me and my brother I am not sure why. He passed away on the first. I was not notified, I found out through reading the newspaper. In the obituary, me and my brother were not even mentioned, just his wife and other two kids, and his brothers.

I have a few questions:

Was I suppose to be notified of his death or funeral arrangements? as far as any will, I am not sure if there is one...am I suppose to be notified of that? If it is up to the wife I am sure she will try everything she can to keep me away. What about life insurance policies? How to I get a copy of the will and other documents? If in deed I am mentioned in the will or policies, is there any way to freeze the disbursements until i am notified?

Thank You!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">