• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will in florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Foo723

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: Florida

my father passed away, the will has 3 benificaries: my 2 brothers and mysefl.

item # 2 in the will states dad's house goes to brother # 2.

item # 3 states all personal property in the house gets split 3 ways. however, the house has been cleaned out before i could get in to town.

item # 4, 5, & 6 states that brother 1, brother 2, and myself get cash payouts of 20,000.00 each.

dad's bank account has gone to brother 2 by joint account and is "out of play"

what is the disposition of the house?

there is no bank account and there will be no cash gifting at this time. the bank account went to
brother # 2, by way of joint account.

is the estate insolvent?

can i file a motion to the probate court to put a lein on the house, or is the house "out of play" ?

brother 1 has hired a probate lawyer and has instructed him not to cooperate with me at all (even got a semi nasty letter about it)

if the house is out of play and the estate is insolvent, why would the lawyer be snippy with me? are they not stewards of the court?

thank you in advance

tranquility

While it might seem both are specific bequests, I think only the house is a specific bequest and the money, even though it is a specific amount, is a general bequest. Specific bequests generally take priority. You may be SOL.

In re Estate of Potter, 469 So. 2d 957 - Fla: Dist. Court of Appeals, 4th Dist. 469 So.2d 957 (1985):
In our opinion the devise of the residence to Mrs. Potter's daughter constituted a specific devise while the trust proviso requiring payment to Mrs. Potter's son of an equivalent sum of money was tantamount to a general devise.[1]

By way of definition, "A specific legacy is a gift by will of property which is particularly designated and which is to be satisfied only by the receipt of the particular property described." In re Parker's Estate, 110 So.2d 498, 500 (Fla. 1st DCA 1959).

On the other hand, "A general legacy is one which may be satisfied out of the general assets of the testator's estate instead of from any specific fund, thing or things. It does not consist of a gift of a particular thing or fund or part of the estate distinguished and set apart from others of its kind and subject to precise identification. A general legacy has a prerequisite of designation by quantity or amount. The gift may be either of money or other personal property." Park Lake Presbyterian Church v. Henry's Estate, 106 So.2d 215, 217 (Fla. 2d DCA 1958).

It is our further opinion that general devises abate before specific devises. Redfearn, Wills and Administration in Florida § 12.08 (5th Ed. 1977), explains such abatement.

Abatement is the reduction of a legacy or devise on account of the insufficiency of the estate of a testator to pay all his debts, all the costs of administration, and all the legacies in full. The presumption is that the testator intended that all the legacies provided for in his will would be paid in full and that he contemplated that his estate would be sufficient to meet this requirement, but his good intentions are no protection for his legatees and devisees from the just claims of his creditors or from costs of administration. Under the common law and under the probate laws of Florida, the first assets of the estate to be applied to the payment of debts and costs are those charged by the testator with this particular indebtedness; next, the assets not devised; then the assets found in the residuary clause of the will are applied. If these assets are insufficient, or if there is no residuary clause or undevised estate, then general legacies must abate pro rata to make up the deficiency; if the general legacies are insufficient to meet these requirements, then specific and demonstrative legacies abate in the manner set forth in section 12.07.

960*960 See also 80 Am.Jur.2d Wills § 1736 (1975). The above exposition is supported by the provisions of section 733.805, Florida Statutes (1983):

(1) If a testator makes provision by his will, or designates the funds or property to be used, for the payment of debts, estate and inheritance taxes, family allowance, exempt property, elective share charges, expenses of administration, and devises, they shall be paid out of the funds or from the property or proceeds as provided by the will so far as sufficient. If no provision is made or any fund designated, or if it is insufficient, the property of the estate shall be used for such purposes, except as otherwise provided in s.733.817 with respect to estate, inheritance, and other death taxes, and to raise the shares of a pretermitted spouse and children, in the following order:

(a) Property not disposed of by the will.

(b) Property devised to the residuary devisee or devisees.

(c) Property not specifically or demonstratively devised.

(d) Property specifically or demonstratively devised.

(2) Demonstrative devises shall be classed as general devises upon the failure or insufficiency of funds or property out of which payment should be made, to the extent of the insufficiency. Devises to the decedent's surviving spouse, given in satisfaction of, or instead of, the surviving spouse's statutory rights in the estate, shall not abate until other devises of the same class are exhausted. Devises given for a valuable consideration shall abate with other devises of the same class only to the extent of the excess over the amount of value of the consideration until all others of the same class are exhausted. Except as herein provided, devises shall abate equally and ratably and without preference or priority as between real and personal property. When property that has been specifically devised or charged with a devise is sold or taken by the personal representative, other devisees shall contribute according to their respective interests to the devisee whose devise has been sold or taken, and before distribution the court shall determine the amounts of the respective contributions, and they shall be paid or withheld before distribution is made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">