• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Will has wrong date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctyggerpooh

California. I have to witness a will that has the wrong date. It should be dated for 2005 but instead the year date is 2004. Is this okay to still sign and cross out 2004 and instead write 2005 and inital? Or should this be sent back to the attorney and corrected.

S

seniorjudge

ctyggerpooh said:
California. I have to witness a will that has the wrong date. It should be dated for 2005 but instead the year date is 2004. Is this okay to still sign and cross out 2004 and instead write 2005 and inital? Or should this be sent back to the attorney and corrected.
I think you need to send it back and have it corrected. Crossing out stuff like that MAY make the whole thing void. Best not to take chances and do it right the first time.

pacormier

Assuming it's been signed off by the attorney, I would think that it would need to go back to be corrected. However, as a notory, you are only witnessing signatures so it may not matter. Have the person contact their attorney to be sure before you notarize!

S

seniorjudge

pacormier said:
Assuming it's been signed off by the attorney, I would think that it would need to go back to be corrected. However, as a notory, you are only witnessing signatures so it may not matter. Have the person contact their attorney to be sure before you notarize!
I understood that OP is witnessing the will, not notarizing it.

Big difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">