• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will in limbo?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LH

Live in Ohio...

A month ago I went to an well respected attorney in our county to have our Will composed and a Trust set up for our children.

While I was at the attorney's office I also seeked advice in regard to a zoning issue we were having with our neighbors.

My problem. . . it has been a month and I have called the attorney's office numerous times to set a time when my husband and I could go and sign the Will. They keep saying they will get back to me but they never do.

My concern is that the zoning issue I discussed with him somehow caused him a conflict of interest -- even though he gave me advise and never implied that he had a conflict of interest.

Question - how long should a Will with a Trust take to complete. If they do not have us come back in are we free to go to another attorney to complete another Will?

The only conflict I could possibly think of is that our neighbor's brother is on the police force and I am sure he and the attorney I chose know each other -- small town.

Please advise what you believe I should do. Thank you.

ALawyer

That's one of the most common complaints about and source of consumer problems with lawyers -- some do not respond to calls. All lawyers (myself included) prioritize. Their priorities are different from yours. If a client is dying they'd get the Will done in a hour, if very sick, a week; otherwise it can take 1-3 months.

If a court hearing is set tomorrow, that's what they work on.

I do not think any lawyer would see the preparation of a Will as a conflict.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

A

advisor10

(01-23-2001)

The bottom line here is that you are being given shoddy, irresponsible service by this attorney--and you have every right to fire him! There is absolutely no excuse for him not communicating with you the reason for any delay in his performing what is supposed to be a service TO YOU!

How could you trust him to properly carry out the wishes of the will--it would be very hard to trust someone like this. Please get another attorney to do your will, and consult with him (in advance of giving him the job) the potential "conflict of interest".

If your town is too small to have an attorney that specializes in probate/estate matters, then go to another town for an attorney if possible. It would have been better to ask an attorney that specializes in real estate law or business law about your zoning question.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">