• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will - Is my child in it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susieq

My child's father and I are divorced and have been for quite a while. His mother died in 1999, and we never got any notice of a will which I am sure his mother had. How can I find out if there was a will and how can I get a copy of it? I have the vital information needed on my child's grandmother to get.

J

justlooking

I don't want to be rude but if it's your ex husband's mother that died, why do YOU need a copy of the will? If there was something left in the will for the child, the father would have been notified i'm sure b/c there would have been a reding of the will.I don't understand your last sentence either.

H

hannah jo

The first place to check is with the probate court in the County of the State where the deceased lived. In almost every case the Will, if filed, will be available to the public.

Anyone can get to see it, and for a modest fee, obtain a copy. If you are far away, a local lawyer or legal service bureau often can arrange to do a search and get a copy for you, at a relatively modest fee.

The fact that a person died -- even if he or she "owned" substantial assets -- does not mean that he or she actually had a Will, or that the Will was duly filed with the Court. In fact, if the deceased held property exclusively through a Living Trust, or a joint ownership arrangement, there may not have been a need to file a Will, because the Trust did not "die" with the individual, and with certain forms of joint ownership, the property usually passes to the other joint owners automatically, by operation of law.

------------------
Please note that these comments do not constitute legal advice. It is always recommended that you consult with a local attorney, who can explore all the facts and issues of your specific situation and then advise you of any legal rights and remedies you may have under the current laws of your jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">