• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will names beneficiaries but does not specify how to divide assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobterry99

The state is Indiana.

My sister has created a will for my mother from a template she downloaded from the Internet. It is very simple -- perhaps too simple. It states essentially:

I give all of my property, whether real or personal, wherever located, to my children Robert and Rebecca, or if not surviving, to my grandchild Katherine.

While the will names beneficiaries, nowhere does it specify in what proportions assets shall be divided between the beneficiaries.

Question: my mother's intent is for her estate to be divided equally between my sister and me; therefore, shouldn't there be a statement saying so? Or, by omission, is it implied that the proportion is 50-50?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My sister and I dislike each other intensely, and she refuses to discuss the will with me...(!) She has a husband.

I note that she is the will's Executor.

Thanks.
Another thing to consider is what happens if only one sister dies before mom...

bobterry99

Sister revised the will

My sister finally responded to my request to explicitly state that my mother's estate shall be divided equally amongst the beneficiaries, so my original question is moot now.

Thanks to those who replied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">