• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Now, Trust Later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
My wife and I have a last will and testament. We are thinking of revising it for one beneficiary, my sister, that is very irresponsible. She blew thru $250K inheritance in 2 years, now on welfare and has a very poor work ethic. We would like all the beneficiaries to receive their share of the estate and the executor, her brother, to form a Incentive Trust for her share. She would simply have to show the executor proof of employment and then receive matching funds from the Trust. Of course we would include a statement where she could get some funds for special situations or hardships proven to the executor.
The reason for not going to a Trust now is things may change and also the Trust would be much smaller and simpler after everyone else receives there share.

Any advice?
Thanks

seniorjudge

Double post warning

Answers here:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/wills-trusts-estate-planning-113/will-now-trust-later-424356.html

Dandy Don

That is what certified estate planners are for. And surely you are leaving her proportionately less than what the other beneficiaries are getting in view of her extreme financial irresponsibility.

jackd

No, we plan on equally dividing the estate less her personal debt with us. In fact I thought her cut would come from the sale of assets and not a portion of my 403b. The 403b would go direct and not be able to regulate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">