• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will and probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cgallant725

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My grandmother passed away back in feburary, before she had passed she had told me and promised me that i was in her will and it would take care of my college education. My father, who doesn't speak to me since her passing, is controling everything and will not give any information on any existing will or probate or anything. i was told that there is legal representation out there that could help me with this situation, saying that if i was granted anything in a will whether it was signed or not i could recive the benifits of that. I don't know where to start looking for help, so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome! thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

Start by contacting the probate court in the county in which your grandmother resided and ask if a probate case has been opened. Probate case files are public record and you can view the file or ask for a copy for what should be a small fee.

....I was told that there is legal representation out there that could help me with this situation, saying that if i was granted anything in a will whether it was signed or not i could recive the benifits of that....
Until you take the step above, everything else is pretty much speculation. But, if you are referring to an unsigned will, it would be a pretty rare case that something unsigned would be accepted as a vaild will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">