• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will, probate,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

james777

illinois, cook county, my last parent passed away 10/8/99. my sister handled everything and has not contacted me at all. does she have a legal obligation to tell me what is going on? how do i search the public notices on the net to see if probate court is trying to find me? how do I get a copy of the will if there is one? In other words, how do I run this down since my sister is no help and i would not believe her anyway. The dad's house is unoccupied. The house is in mom's name. the tax bill is in my father's name and sent to a naperville address. even the phone bill at dad's house is paid

A

advisor10

JULY 14, 2001

DEAR JAMES:

If you know the city and state where your parent died, then contact the county courthouse for that city and ask them to check to see if a will has been filed yet. If it has, then you would be able to get a copy of the will and any other probate papers in the file, since it is public record.

If no papers have been filed regarding the estate, then you need to be the one to file to be personal administrator, so you can be in charge of claiming your mother's assets and getting control of the title to her home.

There should be accounting related papers in the file showing how much money and property was there and how the estate was distributed. Don't automatically assume that you will be receiving anything, since there may not have been enough money and property in the estate to divide after estate expenses (debts, funeral expenses and taxes) were paid.

If the executor of the estate was honest and knew that you were entitled to receive anything, they should have contacted you by now if you were going to receive anything (if they knew your address and/or phone number). You also need to find out from the county courthouse if they require that executors in Illinois are required to be bonded. If they are, then if it is later discovered that you should have received a portion of the estate and that it was stolen from you, you can file a claim with the bond insurance company.

Of course, if the estate is still open now, then you may have to wait awhile for the executor to finish processing the estate.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">