• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will or Property Transfer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laura_cook

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
My father-in- law made a will last year leaving his home on 3 acres to my husband, and other property to his daughter, when he passes away. He was widowed in late 2005. He has been dating a younger woman for a few weeks who already wants to get married, but has refused to sign a prenuptial agreement. My husband is understandably concerned about her motives and the possible repercussions after his father passes away. We have been told that the will should be honored since the property was paid for and willed to my husband before the marriage, but should we take other action if he wants to marry her anyway? Should we attempt to do a property transfer before the marriage to ensure his wishes are carried out? My father in law has agreed to sign the property over to my husband if necessary, but does not wish to inform the bride to be of his actions as she may be angry and not agree to marry him. If she is not aware of the transaction, does that give her any right to try to obtain a share of the property? And is there a more severe tax on a property transfer than if it were an inheritance? What a mess!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">