• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

ndnman

I live in Texas, and all parties involved do as well. This may not be the proper tread, but here goes. My parents say they have a will, and have had one for years. The problem is they use it as leverage when decisions and events arise. If they are angry with one of us, the rearrange the will accordingly. I have about had enough. Is there a way, or form that I can use to declare myself out of someones will in advance? They have changed it enough times that there is sure to be a battle, and besides, I don't want anything anyway. Is there a method to do this? Surely I can't be the first to feel this way.

H

hexeliebe

Invite ma and pa to dinner then just as the desert arrives tell them in a very sweet voice, "Mom and Dad, I appreciate all you've done for me and I love you. But take your money, your investments, your property and especially your will and please stick it in your collective asses because I don't want it."

Then get up, excuse yourself from the table and stiff them for the check.

Anyone can put you in their will. You, on the other hand, don't have to take the gift. However, since you don't want it anyway, IF they remember you in some way, give what they leave and offer it to a local women's shelter, a homeless shelter or for disadvantaged children.

Just don't play the game and get on with your life. And ignore any comment they make about disinheriting you. Because you don't care.

nextwife

As Hex said, it can only be "leverage" if you allow it to be.

My widowed mom is an active 75, somewhat healthy (G-d bless her!), and I never ask her to discuss her will. She's brought it up a couple of times, and I simply told her that it's her money, and I'd rather see her do the things she wants to do NOW, and not worry about us, as we are all competant adults. It's her money, and if she'd lighten up and USE more of it and enjoy herself more, we'd be very happy. Odds are, end of life care will eat up most of it anyway, but I do not see it as any of my business what she wants to do with HER money. They raised us into independent, responsible adults, she has taken care of her parental obligations already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">