• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will & Realestate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rena' Tatum

My Father-in-law inherited thru a will, land. He was the only child and there is also an old deed to this land. The will was never probated, nor the land was never transfered in ownership to my father-in-law. My father-in-law's father has deceased some 4 years ago. My father-in-law now wants to deed over some of the land to my husband and I. Obviously this can't be done until he transfers the land into his name. What do we do! Where do we start! I have been told several different stories. Go to the probate court and probate the will, go to change ownership etc. Is this something we can do individually or do we need the assistance of an attorney.

Thanking you in advance

A

advisor10

1-15-2002

DEAR RENA:

Call a local title company and a real estate attorney to get their opinion about this.

Why was the other relative's will never probated?
What relation was this person to your father-in-law?
What is the value of the land?

Yes, it is likely that the will would need to be probated in order to begin the process of officially changing the names correctly. You really will need the assistance of a real estate attorney to INSURE that everything has been done correctly and that no errors will occur that could put any future questions of your ownership in legal jeopardy.

SINCERELY,

advisor

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">