• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will & Seperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChristinaB616

Virginia

My father-in-law just passed away recently leaving a will stating that his assets be divided between his 5 children. He left a very large sum of money in bonds (totaling over 2 million) plus a camper, 4 vehicles and a plot of land, plus 2 life insurance policies. The issue is, he was married for 5 yrs to his wife, they have been living apart for around 2 years and sent her divorce papers 2xs with no response, is she entitled to any of his assets that are not in her name (i.e. the life insurance and stock/bonds)
Thank you!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Virginia

My father-in-law just passed away recently leaving a will stating that his assets be divided between his 5 children. He left a very large sum of money in bonds (totaling over 2 million) plus a camper, 4 vehicles and a plot of land, plus 2 life insurance policies. The issue is, he was married for 5 yrs to his wife, they have been living apart for around 2 years and sent her divorce papers 2xs with no response, is she entitled to any of his assets that are not in her name (i.e. the life insurance and stock/bonds)
Thank you!
The insurance will go to the named beneficiary(ies). :cool:

LdiJ

Virginia

Thank you!
As was already stated, the insurance will go to the named beneficiaries. The stock/bond fund could possibly have had a named beneficiary as well, or it might not. Most likely VA state law would allow a spouse to make a claim for a portion of the estate. That is fairly standard in most states. Whoever is the executor of the will would need to get an attorney involved to determine the spouse's status.

anteater

I suggest that you read the articles in the Spousal & Family rights section:

http://www.virginiaestatelaw.com/index.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">