• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Will Still Binding??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

btb726

Is a will still binding that was written in New York in Dec. 1999 after the deceased relocated to Florida and subsequently died while a resident of Florida in April 2000?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by btb726:
Is a will still binding that was written in New York in Dec. 1999 after the deceased relocated to Florida and subsequently died while a resident of Florida in April 2000?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, it is still a good Will. Every State recognizes a Will written in another State. All because a person moves, doesn't mean that their Final Wishes have changed, or that their Final Wishes shouldn't be recognized.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

advisor10

Do Some More Checking

11-14-2000

In nearly all cases, the will is probated in the county courthouse of the city and state where the person actually died. In this case, Florida would have jurisdiction.

If you know the city where he died you need to contact the county courthouse to find out if a will was filed there. If a will WAS filed, you need to look at the file (or have copies of the file mailed to you if you can't visit in person), to find out who was the estate executor and how the estate was handled. The estate executor MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THE New York will.

Whoever drew up the New York will should also be informed of how the estate was handled in Florida, if they don't already know about it.

If you were named in the New York will, you can still try to recover your property but you will need to consult with an attorney to find out what your options are and whether it would be worth it or not.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">