• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Storage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skikingjs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
I receive a letter today form an attorney which say's he is looking for me or my sister. He state he is holding a will generated by my parents and was holding for safe keeping in a fire proof vault since 1979. I am the executor along with my sister. I assume they are looking for money to cover their keeping of the will. My parents have just past away this August which a newer will has already been paid out. What are my options. What kind of proof or bill statement must I ask for that she would owe money. I would think that this would be a yearly bill. Not a bill for 32 years of sitting on it. I have paid my mothers bills for the last year and never received any statement for it. I know she knew she had replaced the older will. Please advise me of my obligation. Thanks JohnWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI
I receive a letter today form an attorney which say's he is looking for me or my sister. He state he is holding a will generated by my parents and was holding for safe keeping in a fire proof vault since 1979. I am the executor along with my sister. I assume they are looking for money to cover their keeping of the will.
I would not assume that if the letter mentioned nothing about a claim.

The attorney may have just learned of the deaths and is merely looking to deliver the will to you. That would be the duty of a person possessing the original of a will upon learning of the death of the testator - deliver the will to the nominated executor or directly to the court. I really can't recall any attorneys charging separately just for maintaining custody of a will.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">