• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will & Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsmith08000

West Virginia

I have a friend that is dying from brain cancer... She has told me that she is giving me her house in her will. The house is not paid for, so will I have to get aproved for the loan or will the mortgage just be signed over to me? She does have life insurance & another friend told me that part of that will go to paying the mortgage, is this true? Also someone told me that I could have her put me on the deed before she dies to make things a lot easier, is this a good option? I would just like to know what I am getting into before I tell her yes I will take it. The doctors have only given her a month to live & I need to act fast.
Thank You,
Jess Smith

Last edited:

curb1

1) Call the company that is holding the mortgage for your answer. If you can't continue the mortgage, sell the house.

2) How does the "friend" know that "part of that (insurance) will go to paying the mortgage"?

3) Putting your name on the deed could get "messy" for taxes.

nextwife

LIie insurance must go to the named beneficiary. Perhaps someone is referring to a credit life policy that sometimes accompanies the mortgage if the borrower opted to take it out. Presume you will not both get the house and also get it paid off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">