• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is will valid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CGLASGOW

What is the name of your state? GA

I have a copy of my Father in law's will which I obtained from the county courthouse. It appears that it was not drawn up by an attorney and I was told by another attorney that I would have to find out who drew the will up to contest it. Wouldn't I hire an attorney to find this information out for me. Please help I've been given alot of bad advice and have come to a dead in.

Dandy Don

Get a second opinion about this from 2 other attorneys. Normally the assumption would be that the decedent made his own will. I don't think that what you were told is true.

JETX

"I was told by another attorney that I would have to find out who drew the will up to contest it."
*** Why?? A review of the Georgia Probate code shows that there are relatively few requirements to a valid will. Simply, if the will was signed by the testator and two qualified witnesses, it should be valid.

According to the Georgia Code (§53-4-20):
"(a) A will shall be in writing and shall be signed by the testator or by some other individual in the testator's presence and at the testator's express direction. A testator may sign by mark or by any name that is intended to authenticate the instrument as the testator's will.
(b) A will shall be attested and subscribed in the presence of the testator by two or more competent witnesses. A witness to a will may attest by mark. Another individual may not subscribe the name of a witness, even in that witness's presence and at that witness's direction.
(c) A codicil shall be executed by the testator and attested and subscribed by witnesses with the same formality as a will."

The full Probate Code for Georgia can be found at:
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/GaCode/Title53.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">