• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a will voided if ...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tag

I veiwed my dads will a copy, and i noticed that someone went in and typed over part of a last name, now with a change ...do you write a new will or have some kind letter from the person writing it, stating changes are taking place ? would a court void this will?

A

advisor10

12-12-2000

The will might not necessarily need to be voided, depending on why the name change was done. Was it a clerical error just correcting the spelling of the person's name, or was it putting a new person's first and last name in?

Is your father deceased or presently alive? If deceased, you will need to contact the attorney or estate executor who drew the will up to ask them about the discrepancy to find out what the reason is. If your father is living, ask him why the change was made.

Would you benefit from the change or would the person who was named benefit from the change? How did you get your copy of the will? Has the will already been processed (called "probated") at the county courthouse? You need to look at the county courthouse copy to see if it is the same as the copy you have.

You may want to consult a probate/estate attorney in the same city to ask their opinion on what your next step should be.

Any changes in a will should be initialed by your father, but actually the best course of action is to retype the entire will with a new signature, to avoid any questions like this.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">