• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will we be entitled to ANYTHING????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clare8022

My family are involved in a lengthy legal battle regarding my dad's land & property in Hong Kong (my dad is ill and cant handle his affairs)...basically my eldest sis Sue and my so called uncle Paul who is in Hong Kong are in general control financially of my dad's affairs and land. My dads close cousin Don in England has a share in certain property in HK jointly with my dad's part, but my sis and uncle are trying to sue Don...for 'interfering'. Not only that, my sister has never given me nor my younger two sisters a dollar out of my dad's estate. We have kept quiet for so many years..and last September 2014 Don came over to where we live and visited my dad who is in a nursing home to get things sorted legally through solicitors/interpreters etc and 'apply' for 'power of attorney'' to handle my dads affairs. We were his witnesses and we are on Don's side...because he is doing things in our favour. My sister and my mum have not spoken for years. Sue was always estranged from the family. There has never been a good relationship between Sue and my mum. We are not close at all to Sue. The thing I am getting quite anxious about this legal battle, I suffer from schizophrenia and overcame cancer 2 years ago....the more I think about it the more nervous I feel. I know that , if this court battle doesnt go in our favour it wont be much loss as we never had the money in the first place. At the same time I worry about my dad, he is 70 years old. My sis Sue has, apparently ''made a will'' in the event of his death...I'm wondering how legal is this? We are entitled to something but we wont see a penny if the will was written according to Sue's wishes! Can we contest this? As my dad suffered brain damage, he is actually paralysed from neck down....there's no way my dad would pass 100% of his property solely to Sue , if that were the case...The problem is worse as his finances are in Hong Kong, we don't speak the lingo and the law will probably be so different to that in the UK. My mum is keeping me updated on the situation in HK, but I am worried all the same. Next court hearing is 14th January...Hope this all makes sense...Do you have any advice? Thanks.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Property in Hong Kong will need to be processed by someone possessing a power of attorney from dad that is recognized there. It is logical people would defer to family locally who are paying necessary expenses related to the properties. That does not mean they have the legal authority to do so. Dad needs to obtain legal council in HK and have them advise on what procedures need to be followed for him to appoint someone in his place officially.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">