• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RenoBoss

In Oregon....
My mother passed away a few days ago. Her lawyer is her personal representative. I asked him "when will the will be read?" He said there will be no reading of the will. Is this normal? I thought all heirs were brought together and a will was to be read to them.

ALawyer

The "reading of the Will" is just a relic of the past and something from the movies. It's not done except in rare instances. Instead the Will is filed in probate court. Ask him for a copy or you can go down to the courthouse and view it when filed.

L

lljnapa

Reading of Wills

Perhaps I am one of those "rare instances" ALawyer refers to, but as recently as 5 years ago when my uncle died, his lawyer called the "interested parties" together and there *was* a reading of his will.
'Something from the movies'? I think not.
I guess it's not done in all cases, but it's not make-believe either.

LLJNapa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">