• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saramiranda

What is the name of your state? California,

Are Wills/Last Testaments public knowledge? My ex-employer died recently and his son was very secretive about his Will. My ex-employer had many people within the company who were very close to him (closer than his own son), and I cannot believe he did not include these people in his Will.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Boy, the vultures are circling here!
Your boss was your boss. Don't worry about what you think your share of his booty should be - you had a business relationship.

Dandy Don

Normally the will is filed within 30-60 days after the death has occurred, so you can regularly check at the county courthouse probate court to see if the will has been filed--it is public record.

curb1

Zigner,
Where is the indication that the OP was talking about himself/herself? I see nothing wrong with the inquiry.

saramiranda

Normally the will is filed within 30-60 days after the death has occurred, so you can regularly check at the county courthouse probate court to see if the will has been filed--it is public record.
How would one inquire about the Will with the courts. Can it be accessed by way of the internet?

momm2500

does this will have any effect on you personally? are people in the business expecting to get something out of this will? or are you looking out and helping his son? no you can not see copies of wills on the internet. you will have to go to the court house and pay to get copies if it was ever entered into probate. his son is his blood relative, people at work can be close to anyone but that does not mean they will get anything out of a will because it was their boss

Dandy Don

If you know what county is applicable, do a Google search for that county name plus court, such as "Orange County Superior Court" or "orange county probate court". Many of California's counties have online records.

mojo1951

Not quite so momm2500. Some counties within some states do post documents from each step in the probate process. Some counties in OK do this through OCIS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">