• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills

• Thread starter Teresa Beardman
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teresa Beardman

my uncle lived in arlington, va. and died in pa. how do i get a copy of his will. i live in ohio.

A

advisor10

JULY 9, 2001

DEAR TERESA:

Probate law applies for the city where the person actually died. So, first you need to check at the county courthouse of the Pennsylvania city (what city was that?) where he died to find out if a last will & testament is on file for him there.

It is possible (but unusual) for a decedent's probate information to be filed in more than one city if he had assets or real estate in more than one place, so you also need to check at the county courthouse for Arlington, VA to see if the family filed his will there.

You didn't mention how long ago that the death occurred, but generally speaking the will is supposed to be filed within 30 days after a person dies.

If you need an address or phone number for either or both of these county courthouses, then send me an e-mail message privately and directly sent to the e-mail address shown below, and I can find it for you.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">