• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Page

My sister, mother-in-law made out a will, she left everything to her son and daughter, if the son or daughter dies, then it goes to the grandchildren, The son makes out a will and leaves eveything to his wife, what my sister wants to know is ,( if her husband die's does she get what the mother-law left to her son or does the grandchildren get it)? Ind.

Last edited:

ALawyer

It all depends on who dies first.

If grandma dies and son is still alive -- and continues to live beyond what some Wills set as a minimum survaival duration -- it often varies from 72 hours to 60 days -- then he gets the property and if he dies the beneficiaries in his will get what he inherited. If son dies first and then grandma dies, then son's widow is cut out completely UNDER GRANDM"s Will (but not son's) as Grandma is (and usually should be) more concerned about her grandkids -- flesh and blood -- that her son's widow who may have already remarried by then.

P

Page

Thank you, after reading some of the other stories here this seams unimportant, and I guess it was. My sister didn't care if the grandkids got what the grandmother left in her will. She love's her kids we were just talking at work and want to see who was right about the will. Now I don't even know who was right, Thank you again. MAY YOU HAVE A GREAT YEAR....Page, Ind.:)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">