• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

taratw

my father died a few months ago, he left everything to a lady friend of his in a new will the family was not aware of. my sister and i proceeded on his original will to pay for funeral costs etc. because we were purposely not told of the new will by his friend. my question is can we sue her or the executor for recovery of what we paid out? i live in iowa

A

advisor10

1-18-2002

DEAR TARATW:

You will not need to sue. Go to the county courthouse where the will is filed (or is going to be filed) and find out the name and address of the executor. The funeral expense is supposed to be paid by the estate, so you can submit a claim for reimbursement by mailing it to the estate, in care of the executor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">