• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills done on computer's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

in-law

Southren California- My husband and myself wanted to get a will leaving our child to my parents if anything ever happen to the two of us.We have not spoken to his Mother in over 6 months and dont want our child to ever end up with her.It's a long story but we believe it would be harmful for him to be in her care.At this time we are unable to come up with the money to get a will done and a friend of our's sent us a disk for the computer to do our own will.Our question is would this be ok for us to do?

A

advisor10

JUNE 29, 2001

DEAR IN-LAW:

Drawing up your will on the computer is good as far as you being able to set up a "rough draft" or working copy of your final wishes.

However, you would be well advised to (whenever you could afford the $200-$500 fee) have it be reviewed by a probate attorney. You might also make innocent mistakes, like not having the witness signatures notarized or not having enough witnesses. If there is ambiguous language or incorrectly worded language in your will, then the probate court could rule it as being invalid and your estate would then be divided according to intestate law (as if you had no will), which could end up producing results that you did not intend. The attorney will appreciate having the rough draft to work from and will most likely charge you less than what he would charge if starting the whole process from the beginning.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">