• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills and prenuptial agreements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michi455

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband passed away and I had my Will redone. In my new Will I leave all my assets (House, money, etc.) to my 3 children. In case I should ever remarry is their money protected by the Will or do I need to have a prenuptial drawn up.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My husband passed away and I had my Will redone. In my new Will I leave all my assets (House, money, etc.) to my 3 children. In case I should ever remarry is their money protected by the Will or do I need to have a prenuptial drawn up.
You should speak with a local estate planning attorney.

anteater

I agree with Zig, but to expand a bit...

You do not have to provide for your spouse in your will. However, a surviving spouse does have the option of electing to take a share of the deceased spouse's estate - variously called a surviving spouse's elective share, electing against the will, taking against the will, etc. If I recall correctly, in New York the elective share is the first $50,000 plus 1/3 (or maybe it is 1/2) of the remainder of the estate.

Therefore, if you wish to ensure that your entire estate go only to your children, then you do need something more than a will.

michi455

Thanks for your answers. Then I assume a Will does not protect my children entirely so if I do remarry I will certainly see a lawyer to have the papers drawn up to protect what I feel should rightfully be theirs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">