• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills and probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

evona

What is the name of your state?
Mississippi, the city is Gulfport and it is the Harrison Count Court House.

Must apologize to you for not responding to your e-mail April 2002 as I checked for a couple days after I posed my questions and not seeing a reply, hadn't logged on to the freeadvice since then.

To brief you on what has happened so far, I did not sign anything that I didn't understand and the executrix filed a complaint in court. As I reside out the U.S. and was never in this position before, I just wrote the court and did not retain legal counsel and the judge awarded in my favor. I would be returning to the U.S. to answer yet another summons for not signing the unconditional waiver of final accounting of assets. I do not as yet have legal representation but will need a lawyer and would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me. Please advice soonest as I am desperate.:(

Last edited:

Dandy Don

How have you been able to find out that the judge awarded in your favor? You have not asked a specific question in your posting, so it's hard to know how to advise you.

In your previous postings you never mentioned that you lived outside of the US. You were also advised to get a probate attorney, but apparently you have not done that yet, and that is a serious mistake. It may have been okay for you to sign the forms you received, but that is why you need a probate attorney in Gulfport to properly advise you on what you should or should not be doing.

If you are in Gulfport now, please go down to the courthouse and get copies of everything that has been done in this probate situation so far, or at least look at the file to inform yourself of what is going on, or your probate attorney can do this.

E

evona

Many thanks for the quick reply. Sorry about the phrasing, but what I was granted was continuance. In brief, the executrix has been giving pieces of the estate and requiring signatures for Waiver of release each time. I have asked for a stipulation noting that I do not give up my claim to any future assets discovered as I have reason to believe that prior to my mother's death she gave a very large amount of cash to the executrix that was not recorded in the will inventory. After much fighting she has agreed to let me insert the stipulation and I signed all of the releases. As there is only one more instalment of the estate left to distribute to close, she has decided that I will not be allowed to insert my stipulation and due to this I have refused to sign the last waiver of release of inventory. Now I have been summoned to appear in court she has hired a second lawyer and has threatened that I will be personally responsible for all costs incurred by her legal team of lawyers. I still have not been able to find an attorney to represent me but will be returning to the U.S. soon to answer the case. Could you advise me of a good legal representative who is not a member of the good ole boy lawyer group in which the executrix is very socially active among this group. Any recommendation you could give with phone numbers would be greatly appreciated as I have very little time left and have been out of the loop in U.S. Many thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">