• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills and Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DaintyLinc

My elderly Mother has her Will set up in a Trust thru an Attorney's office in the State of Washington. She is dividing it amongst her children, leaving a small amount to one of the children who is estranged from her.

We feel that this child and their mate will probably try to bring a Lawyer in to get more proceeds when my Mother dies. What would be their chances of success?

ALawyer

Perhaps the reason she is leaving something is to discourage them from ever contesting the Trust.

If there is an "in terrorum clause" in the Trust and they challange it, and they are not successful, they get ZERO.

That's pretty smart of her and the lawyer. And if the lawyer is a good one, as I assume s/he is, the odds are great that all potential challanges, such as lack of mental capacity, will have been anticipated and s/he's prepared to overcome them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">